Tutorial: Never fear your gaming bases

by Roman aka jar

                                                                                                
Good Morning Jungle,

in the last tutorial vote you decided to go for some simple gaming bases instead of the pirate bust.
This article will show you an explanation on how you can build up gaming bases with the most simple stuff you can find on your workbench.

Why do a simple gaming base?

Well, the answer is simple. It depends on what you are heading for with your figure projects.
Lately I had a painting spree and wanted to paint more simple projects, fast ones, to enjoy painting, test some quicker painting techniques with the reward of finishing a figure in about five hours. So no plinth, just a gaming base and the base was not my main focus here. Following I will explain you my work on eleven bases.


Let's start with the first six. When I prepare such a group of figures I clean them up all together and make them ready for priming. Let's have a look:


As you can see in the photo above I prepared six completly different figures for my painting spree. One was even painted already, not finished but already painted during a painting class and I planned to finish her in this workflow. Every figure recieved her gaming base and a plinth to work on for preparation.

The first base was planned to be a simple  asphalt base, so I used sanding paper to glue it on top. I used a pair of scissors to cut the edges after the glue was dry. Superglue was used.


Could have gone smoother with the cutting but I was fine with that as my goal was to go fast. I already placed the figure on top and while it was drying I used some wall plaster that I ripped off the wall and crushed to create the next two bases. I also found some old Milliput pieces that I crushed and glued there too.
 
 

On the next base I wanted to do a little more work and used the bases from some 1:72 Soldiers. They were glued to build up some volume and height to the base.

... and again some wall plaster pieces ...

Now it was time for some soil/earth to be placed. It helps to bring the different materials together, blending them together. I didn't do it to all of the bases but for example to the taller one and to the one of another Blood Bowl figure. There was just earth needed to create a quick groundwork for a dirty field where they play.


I did the same - only earth - to hide the plastic base of the Ron & Bones Fishman figure. Simple but effective, at least kind of - in this case I need a little more as shown on the photo:


Well, some minor detail to the asphalt base in form of a piece of metal and done with the first row of quick bases. Those are ready for priming.


Let's check for the next round of bases.
Another five figures you have seen lately here on the blog, painted.  

From left to right:
A piece of cork from a wine bottle cork, I placed superglue in the opening of the base and used activator spray to let it dry with volume as I planned to paint lava there.

Next one was simple wall plaster again but this time bigger plates.

The little football goblin recieved treatment with only superglue and activator spray. I did use several layers here to create height again. Plan was to create a muddy ground of wet football field.

The blacksmith just recieved soil again.

For the MILF I just went with PVC glue first, plan was to create a sandy underground.
While the PVC glue was slowly drying I searched for material I can use as fine sand and I found - guess what - the stuff I use for snow and placed it on top of the PVC-glue while it dried. Simple, eh?





Figures were then placed on their working plinths to have a good handle on them while painting:


And priming was next. Simple and quick bases for ultimate fast painting joy. I guess there are many more options available when you look on your workbench, maybe even under it?

Some painted examples of these figures ...



























 










 
















 





What you got to take care of while doing such fast bases:

- Don't think to much about perfection, it's not needed with such a goal.
- Always have in mind that colour can make everything interesting
- Have a toothpick ready to quickly move pieces around on your bases while they are placed in glue
- Don't glue your fingers too much!

Remember, you can also use bases you buy ready for gaming or even spent more time and even more time on a gaming base - it's all about its purpose.

Hope you enjoyed the article!
So, do you now fear your fast gaming bases?
Let me know what you think?

Keep on happy painting!
Best Wishes
Roman



Comments:

There are 18 Kommentare for Tutorial: Never fear your gaming bases

Post a Comment