Review: MV's Jar's Beginners Class in Copenhagen, Denmark

by Roman aka jar

Hi Jungle,


two weeks I was travelling to Copenhagen, Denmark to teach his 60th MV's Jar's Beginner Class. Shit. In Copenhagen I thought it was 59... oh dear :D

No matter the class number, it was a class fully booked with great students ... some of them first timers and some repeaters from last years workshop in Copenhagen.












First of all a big thank you everyone for attenting the class and being a reason to make this happen. Thanks for your support in my passion in teaching, work and art.

Second big thanks goes to the great organisation - again done by MV Peter, Jakob and Peder from Faroas Cigar. As a teacher it is just so awesome if everything is planned and organised close to perfection and you can focus on teaching mainly. Many, many thanks to the three of you and especially to Jakob for his great hospitality once again.

My trip started some days before the class in Augsburg and I sat in a train for twelve long hours.

Train, train, train ...

 At least I thought it would be twelve hours. As there was a false bomb threat alarm at the ferry who carries the train over the border from Germany to Denmark, it took a little longer than expected. Still a cool upnorth trip.

Germany ...



... Denmark.


After my arrival in Copenhagen - just when I went out of the train station - I got greeted by Fireworks from Tivoli, which is a big amusement parc in the middle of CH. Wonderful. Next day was for resting bones from sitting too much in a train, picking up that guy from the airport and some relaxed walks and talks around beautiful CH. We even have been to the National Museum :)






Allright, but this is about a painting class review. Shall we?



Faraos Cigar.


One of the most amazing places you can find as a geek on this planet. Several stores of LARP, Tabletop, Comics and so much more ... it is just breathtaking. This year they had some more space again.

If you ever make it to CH, check for Faraos Cigar. You will not regret it.




Thank you Faroas Cigar Team for the great support in this class!


It is also an amazing place to hold a class, not only because of the perfect organisation, but because of everything.

I really enjoyed seeing many new faces to this class as first timers. Some even travelling from France or Sweden and the UK and I was really looking forward to teach my repeaters of the class more painting joy concerning their own topics.



"This was my second beginners workshop with Roman.
 Just as last time, it was a great experience, and it is always wonderful to be in company with a person as charismatic and good natured as Roman.

As a repeater this workshop was a bit different from the first one I attended. I had a bit more freedom (which as it turns out can be a double edged sword - I'll get right back to that), so I brought my own model for the workshop, Allan Carrascos Goblin Shaman from Blacksmith Miniatures. As last time, it was wonderful to be set loose upon Romans basing materials - There's so much to explore and be inspired by! In the end I made a mushroom themed base to match the mushroom staff of the goblin.

Regarding the freedom during this course as a repeater, I didn't attend Romans instructions as closely as the first time. Even though I could remember most of what he taught from the last time I took the course, this resulted in me not using his techniques as much as I could. This could probably have been avoided if I had used his techniques a lot during the year that went from the last workshop, but painting time has been sporadic. This meant that I struggled a bit with the wet in wet technique for establishing mood on the base. So from personal experience, as a repeater I would advise that you still attend his instructions when he gathers everyone about him, as this will definitely make you more observant of using his methods.

Nevertheless I got a lot out of the course, and Roman was really good at being attentive both of the first-time attendees and the repeaters - giving advice and directions on everyones personal projects, encouraging when doubt set in, and pushing you a bit further always. This couldn't be more true in my case. And as last time I attended, it was especially the third day that was really rewarding, when our projects began to go from rough sketches, to vibrant pieces with souls and life. In my case it was when Roman handed me a bottle of Vallejo Model Air Fluorescent Red that everything sort of fell into place, and I really began to see what I was achieving with my model! It was glorious!

Romans course is a unique experience, 30 hours of painting in three days is intense! But it is so rewarding, and the experience of growing in your painting skills and awareness is fantastic. Roman is really good at opening your eyes to the possibilities and freedoms in miniature painting.

Can't wait for next year!"
- Peder

Peder's project of the weekend

In a fully booked class you find many great projects and after our basing and theory session on Friday night it was time to prime them on Saturday. When it comes to basing Roman has to thank the supporters of this class who made the class wonderful due their help in sponsoring some of their products, beside Roman's crazy material collection:






















"Once again thanks for everything last weekend. Both Adam and I had an amazing time."
- Steve

Saturday my students painted their way through their bases and at night started to work on the figures itself. Of course, class repeaters had a different pace than first timers and even some first timers were already very experienced. I was happy to see that I still could teach something to very advanced and competition rewarded painters.

Simple amazing, freestyle use of a MV sticker!

The beauty of wetpalletes ...



"This was my second MV workshop and i feel like this was better than my first.

I've been strugling to find motivation and inspiration to paint lately and this workshop changed that and i now feel more motivated than ever.

Since this was my second time i brought my own miniature, Selvambi from Aradia miniatures.
This weekend i really learned that i can push a lot more contrast and that a mini is never done there are always more stuff to improve :)
Thanks for a great weekend and i will definitely join again next year."
- Oliver
Oliver's project during the weekend


"Just wanted to say thank you for a fantastic weekend.
I really enjoyed all of it. The pace and the content was really good and the location as well. Definitely one of the best birthday gifts I received (for many reasons)."

- Teis

We pushed on and on through Saturday night, no time for being tired, but frankly I saw some really exhausted - but happy - faces on Saturday night. When Sunday arrived it was again time to push forward in our projects and I did not take many photos as I was pretty busy with answering questions, helping my students in their individual projects and being around all the time. Just forgot to take many photos :/ ... let's just say:



We also had a big table of miniatures where everyone was invited to show projects. Beautiful sight:







"As you know I flew all the from Marseille  southern France to Copenhague to attend your class , and it fulfilled all my expectations. The class is dense but so well written that it didn't even feel like three days. Most important as someone who is prone to give up because of a lack of self esteem, you have made me realize that I can too achieve something. Thanks again. Hope to see you soon in another session."
- César

Again I want to thank the whole bunch of my students for the great, but also exhausting time we shared. I left as a proud teacher and I hope that happy painting will guide you from now on through your hobby life.

from left to right ... MSVVDO-Man, Superman, Superdoctor, Tyranid ... no just kidding!


After the painting party was over it was time to take photos of my students projects. Everyone arrived on the class with a different skillset and experience in the field of painting miniatures and I am really super happy about your results and your visions you had for your projects. Sorry for the bad photos though I had some wrong adjustments on my mobile ... I am really sorry. Seems like I am growing old and do not understand all that future stuff so well :D


































... and a big tourtoise :)


After we cleaned up the workshop room - thanks to every helping hand! - we decided to go to Tivoli again, like we did last year. We ate at the exact same spot, same food - burgers - and enjoyed strolling around the amusement park not without getting some icecream and a light show. Pretty cool! Seems a tradition is forming up here.

Onion rings!!!


Tivoli



I do not remember Monday after the class pretty well. I was just so exhausted and slept some moments here and there and Monday passed with some superhero drawings for Jakob's boys.

It was time to head home on Tuesday again, thanks for the early pick up service again, Tobias!
Soon I was again on the ferry with no bomb thread this time :)



Still supertired :D


... and with a slightly different view ...


Thank you all for a wonderful weekend in Copenhagen. We are already speaking about a workshop in 2018 in CH. Not sure if it will be a beginner. Could also be an Advanced - or Basing Class or even a BAM class with two teachers to train your skills before the advanced train rolls in ...

We will see! Until then:

Keep on happy painting!
Roman

Comments:

There are 4 Kommentare for Review: MV's Jar's Beginners Class in Copenhagen, Denmark

Post a Comment